It combines the Alpine with the Mediterranean, effortlessness with dependability, nature with culture. The mountains offer sheer endless opportunities for active holidaymakers, cultural and pleasure-seeking holiday makers will feel at home in the historical town and city centres, at castles and palaces and by lakes and ponds. Besides this, famous events and festivals attract music, film and wine lovers to South Tyrol year after year.
Some tips for your cultural and activity holiday in South Tyrol
- The little town of Vipiteno/Sterzing is charming with its historical lanes and squares, towered over by the imposing Torre delle dodici/Zwölferturm. Italian fashion and local specialities entice you into the many little shops.
- At the entrance to Val di Racines/Ratschingstal there is a very special gorge, the wildly romantic Gilfenklamm gorge. You can walk through it in an hour over adventurous bridges and walkways. Open from May to October.
- The South Tyrolean Museum of Hunting and Fishing is housed in baroque Wolfsthurn Castle. In the grand rooms you find out everything about the castle’s history and the subject of mountain hunting. Open from April to November.
- In the former Episcopal city of Bressanone/Brixen you stumble across the city’s eventful history with every step you take. Domplatz square with its imposing Baroque cathedral and the Hofburg (Imperial Palace) is the heart of the city. In the pretty lanes and under the arcades you can find everything that the heart desires.
- Slightly north of Bressanone/Brixen is the vast Fortezza/Franzensfeste fortress. This huge fort is built entirely out of granite and originates from the Imperial and Royal era. Today it houses various exhibitions and is an events venue for festivals and concerts. Open all year round.
- No less than two recreational swimming pools with sauna complex are open all year round nearby: the Balneum in Vipiteno/Sterzing and the Acquarena in Bressanone/Brixen. Here you can enjoy a really relaxing little holiday in South Tyrol at any time of the year.
- Head up high by cable car: whether it’s from Vipiteno/Sterzing up to Monte Cavallo/Rosskopf, from Bressanone/Brixen up to the Plose or in Racines/Ratschings, our cable cars take you right up to the middle of the hiking area in summer and onto the ski slopes in winter.
These and many other holiday highlights await you on your activity holiday in South Tyrol. All you have to bring with you is curiosity and a desire to experience something new. Have a great time on your indulgent and relaxing holiday in South Tyrol!